ETO was established in 1992 in İzmir with the participation of producers, consumers, processors, traders, controllers, researchers and technical staff to ensure fast and healthy development of ecological (organic, biological) agriculture in our country under an umbrella organization. ETO has organized numerous short courses, seminars, conferences and panels in various fields of ecological agriculture, participated in fairs and prepared educational materials and also organized four National Organic Agriculture Symposiums in Turkey in 1999, 2001, 2006 and 2010 and has undertaken several national and international projects, especially in sensitive areas, to adopt organic agriculture and to develop capacity. In the program prepared by the new governing board, which was selected at the beginning of 2007, firstly, the development and
dissemination of organic agriculture all over the country, the expansion of the organic product market, and the representation of our country in domestic and foreign activities related to organic agriculture were discussed first.
Purposes of ETO are:
* To promote the introduction, dissemination and liking of ecological agriculture and scientific research related to this subject.
* To organize activities among individuals, institutions and organizations in the technical and commercial areas of ecological agriculture, to encourage their work, to help them to develop their professional formations and to protect their interests.
* To provide all necessary cooperation and organization for universities, research institutes and similar institutions.
* To work and support the creation of an internal market for ecological products.
* Contribute to and monitor the healthy development of domestic and foreign markets related to ecological products; To support the organization in the stages of certification and inspection.
* To enable the association logos to be used as supervised in domestic and foreign markets.
* To be involved with the relevant domestic and foreign, private and legal persons, individuals and organizations in order to solve all the problems that arise in the stages of production, operation and marketing, to conduct investigations, to prepare reports and to inform the public.
In order to accomplish this purpose ETO:
* organizes all kinds of conferences, symposiums, seminars, meetings and examinations that will help to develop the functional qualities of the persons who are active in ecological agriculture (technical staff, producers, processors, traders and consumers), opens courses and participates in such domestic and international activities.
* Cooperates with universities, research institutes, public and private persons, and institutions or organizations working on this issue in order to enable the activation and development of civil society activities in ecological production and related fields.
* controls the use of the ecological agricultural products with the logo of the association and the use of the mark in accordance with the legal and specified conditions.
* develops appropriate agricultural policies and strategies and communicates them to relevant persons and organizations.
* provides the promotion of ecological products for domestic and foreign sales and it is in activities to encourage consumption. ETO establishes relations with the authorized public institutions and organizations in carrying out the related laws and regulations and, when requested, contributes to the work of these institutions and takes an active role when necessary.
* may do all kinds of legal and financial transactions related to its purposes and may acquire, sell and / or lease all kinds of rights with movable and immovable property in order to fulfill the transactions which are the object of the association legal entity. It may make all kinds of appropriation and saving transactions related to these in the frame of legal provisions and forms.
* may establish foundations, companies, cooperatives, unions, economic enterprises, participate in existing ones, and open branches in Turkey and abroad in connection with the activities for the purpose of the General board’s decision.
* In order to fulfill its objectives, in case of necessity, it executes joint projects with the public institutions and organizations in the fields of their duties, without prejudice to the provisions of the law related to the associations and foundations of the associations and foundations numbered 5072.
* It conducts international activities, can become a member of associations and organizations abroad, and collaborates with, executes and assists with these projects on a project basis.
In 2007-2010 period, ETO’s branches were established in Adana, Ankara and Istanbul.
ETO Association Economic Business was established on June 2010.
When ETO entered the 15th year of its establishment in 2007, ETO has created committees with the participation of the most valuable members in its field to carry out the mission that has been undertaken since the beginning to contribute to the development of organic agriculture in Turkey more effectively. By 2010, the number of committees increased to 7.
Honorary President: Prof. Dr. Uygun Aksoy
Chairman of the Board: Zafer Göynügür
Vice Chairman of the Board: Mustafa Avci
Hakkı Zafer Can